Avent Ferry United Methodist Church is a Christ centered community of faith that is committed to reaching out to and embracing all individuals. With open hearts, open minds, and open doors, we are making intentional efforts toward celebrating diversity and being genuinely welcoming and inclusive of all individuals. As a Reconciling United Methodist Church, we follow Jesus Christ by loving and accepting: All Ages, All Races, All Abilities, All Cultures, All Ethnicities, All National Origins, All Education Levels, All Gender Identities, All Sexual Orientations, All Socio-Economic Statuses, All Family or Marital Statuses.
Join Us for Worship, Sunday January 15th
(Image: “Peace Begins With Love” From the Peace Wall in
1. God made from one blood all the families of earth, the circles of nurture that raised us from birth, companions who join us to walk through each stage of childhood and youth and adulthood and age.
2. We turn to you, God, with our thanks and our tears for all of the families we’ve known through the years, the intimate networks on whom we depend of parent and partner and roommate and friend.
3. We learn through our families how closeness and trust increase when our actions are loving and just. Yet families have also distorted their roles, mistreating their members and bruising their souls.
4. Give, Lord, to each family in conflict and storm a sense of your wisdom and grace that transform sharp anger to insight which strengthens the heart and makes clear the place where rebuilding can start.
5. Then widen that wisdom and grace to include the races and viewpoints our families exclude till peace in each home bears and nurtures the bud of peace shared by all you have made from one blood.
1. In our lives, Lord, be glorified, be glorified. In our lives Lord, be glorified today.
2. In our homes, Lord, be glorified, be glorified. In our homes, Lord, be glorified today.
3. In your church, Lord, be glorified, be glorified. In your church, Lord, be glorified today.
4. In your world, Lord, be glorified, be glorified. In your world, Lord, be glorified today.”
Psalter: Psalm 40:1-11 #774 UMH ………..……..Phillip J. I waited patiently for the Lord; who inclined to me and heard my cry. The Lord drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. The Lord put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and be in awe, and put their trust in the Lord. Blessed are those who make the Lord their trust, who do not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after false gods! O Lord my God, you have multiplied, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! Were I to proclaim and tell of them, they would be more than can be numbered. Sacrifice and offering you do not desire, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required. Then I said, “Lo, I come; in the roll of the book it is written of me; I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; lo, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O Lord. I have not hid your saving help within my heart, I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and faithfulness from the great congregation. O Lord, do not, withhold your mercy from me, let your steadfast love and faithfulness ever preserve me!
Giving of our tithes and offerings ………………… You can do this with no fee through your bank’s online bill pay option. It is easy to set up for automatic monthly giving. Or, you can use this link: Online Giving
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise God, all creatures here below: Alleluia! Alleluia! Praise God the source of all our gifts! Praise Jesus Christ, whose power up-lifts! Praise the Spirit, Holy Spirit! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
1. Help us accept each other as Christ accepted us; teach us as sister, brother, each person to embrace. Be present, Lord, among us, and bring us to believe We are ourselves accepted and meant to love and live.
2. Teach us, O Lord, your lessons, as in our daily life we struggle to be human and search for hope and faith. Teach us to care for people, for all, not just for some, to love them as we find them, or as they may become.
3. Let your acceptance change us, so that we may be moved in living situations to do the truth in love; to practice your acceptance until we know by heart the table of forgiveness and laughter’s healing art.
4. Lord, for today’s encounters with all who are in need, who hunger for acceptance, for righteousness and bread, we need new eyes for seeing, new hands for holding on; renew us with your Spirit; Lord, free us, make us one!
Gospel Lesson: Luke 5:27-32……………….…..Phillip J. After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up, left everything, and followed him.
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house; and there was a large crowd of tax collectors and others sitting at the table with them. The Pharisees and their scribes were complaining to his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” Jesus answered, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance.”