Avent Ferry United Methodist Church is a Christ centered community of faith that is committed to reaching out to and embracing all individuals. With open hearts, open minds, and open doors, we are making intentional efforts toward celebrating diversity and being genuinely welcoming and inclusive of all individuals. As a Reconciling United Methodist Church, we follow Jesus Christ by loving and accepting: All Ages, All Races, All Abilities, All Cultures, All Ethnicities, All National Origins, All Education Levels, All Gender Identities, All Sexual Orientations, All Socio-Economic Statuses, All Family or Marital Statuses.
The worship video will be available live at 11:00 am. Text for hymns are found below each hymn. Click on the hymn highlighted text for music if shown.
Prelude: “We Three Kings”, Words and Music by J. Hopkins, Jr., 1857………………………………………Greg D.
Coming of the Light:…………………………………
Opening Prayer: …“The Wesley Covenant Prayer”…Chris M.
“I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.”
1. There’s a song in the air! There’s a star in the sky! There’s a mother’s deep prayer and a baby’s low cry! And the star rains its fire while the beautiful sing, for the manger of Bethlehem cradles a King!
2. There’s a tumult of joy o’er the wonderful birth, For the virgin’s sweet boy is the Lord of the earth. Ay! The star rains its fire while the beautiful sing, for the manger of Bethlehem cradles a King!
3. In the light of that star lie the ages impearled; and that song from afar has swept over the world. Every hearth is aflame, and the beautiful sing in the homes of the nations that Jesus is King!
4. We rejoice in the light, and we echo the song that comes down through the night from the heavenly throng. Ay! We shout to the lovely evangel they bring, and we greet in his cradle our Savior and King!
1.As I went down to the river to pray, studyin’ about that good ole way and who shall wear the starry crown, good Lord, show me the way.
O ∗sisters, let’s go down, let’s go down, come on down. Come on, sisters, Let’s go down, down to the river to pray.
∗2.brothers 3.fathers 4.mothers 5.sinners
Psalter: Psalm 29 #761 UMH ……………….…..Chris M.
Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory of his name; worship the Lord in holy splendor. The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord, upon many waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
The Lord makes Lebanon skip like a calf, and Sirion like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord causes the oaks to whirl, and strips the forest bare;
and in his temple all say, “Glory!”
The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as king forever.
May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!
Giving of our tithes and offerings …………..Lorri B. You can do this with no fee through your bank’s online bill pay option. It is easy to set up for automatic monthly giving. Or, you can use this link: Online Giving
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise God, all creatures here below: Alleluia! Alleluia! Praise God the source of all our gifts! Praise Jesus Christ, whose power up-lifts! Praise the Spirit, Holy Spirit! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
1. Spirit of God, descend upon my heart; wean it from earth; through all its pulses move; stoop to my weakness, mighty as thou art, and make me love thee as I ought to love.
5. Teach me to love thee as thine angels love, one holy passion filling all my frame; the kindling of the heaven descended Dove, my heart an altar, and thy love the flame.
Gospel Lesson:….Matthew 3:13-17……………Chris M.
Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.
And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”